SFPE, the global leader in advancing the science and practice of fire protection and safety engineering, seeks a full-time Engineering Manager to join our eight person staff in our Maryland office. The successful candidate will have strong interpersonal and communication skills and be comfortable interacting with our 4,200 members and friends around the world. Potential growth within this association exists for the right candidate. The position reports to the Senior Manager for Engineering Practice. Note our offices are currently in Bethesda, but will be moving to Gaithersburg, MD in mid-March.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Assist technical committees in the development of SFPE guides and standards.
- Serve as secretariat for assigned SFPE engineering documents.
- Assist the SFPE Licensure Committee with the development of the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) Exam in Fire Protection. Write, review and pre-test PE exam problems.
- Serve on the Editorial Board for Fire Protection Engineering magazine. Assist the Technical Editor with review of technical content for Fire Protection Engineering magazine, SFPE Europe digital magazine and the SFPE Emerging Trends e-newsletter.
- Manage the development and review of technical content for SFPE educational programs and webinars.
- Make presentations at conferences and write articles for publications in topics related to science and the practice of fire safety engineering.
- Evaluate proposals and presentations for SFPE educational events.
- Serve as staff liaison to assigned SFPE committees.
- Assist with developing materials that promote career opportunities in fire protection engineering.
- Assist the Senior Manager for Engineering Practice and the SFPE Technical Steering Committee in developing and implementing SFPEs technical strategy.
- Assist the appropriate committees in the development of SFPE position statements.
- A licensed engineer who has passed the NCEES Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) Exam in Fire Protection.
- B.S. or M.S. degree in fire protection engineering or fire safety engineering.
- A minimum four years of experience practicing fire protection engineering.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills; able to handle multiple tasks, projects and priorities effectively and professionally.
- Ability to work well in a small, high-energy organization; a team player willing to take on new challenges with demonstrated ability to partner with staff and member volunteers.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including excellent telephone manner.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and Computer-Based Fire and Human Behavior Models.
- Travel is required.
Cover letter with salary requirements must accompany resume and be sent to Chris Jelenewicz at firstname.lastname@example.org